Overview of BU-GATA
Organized by a group of Latino tenants in 1992, BU-
- Create new community leaders who come from the low-income immigrant population
- Encourage youth to serve as role models for younger children
- Engage youth and adults in public dialogue and problem-solving
- Increase high school graduation rates and overall educational attainment levels
- Strengthen relationships with the County agencies, the school system, and other regional community-based organizations
- Positive intervention and mediation between landlords and tenants resulting in strengthened relationships between the two
- To Promote neighborhood stabilization and community activities, especially for the youth.
- To train and educate renters and community residents about their rights and housing choices, with especial emphasis on the economically most vulnerable residents.